Thursday 24 October 2013

FILM || The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ||

I won't lie when I say I am a true Hunger Games fanatic, since seeing the first instalment last year I immediately went out and bought the entire book collection, quickly making my way through all three. I have never been a fan of sci-fi and never really understood why people were so fixated with franchises like Harry Potter or Twilight. That was of course until I saw The Hunger Games;it is fair to say that I have been waiting for Catching Fire to be released for what seems like forever.


In a nutshell...

If you've seen the first film The Hunger Games, then you will already know that Katniss and Peeta have escaped the arena once before, both being crowned the winners of the 74th annual 'Hunger Games' from district twelve. Their actions in the arena have led to a upcoming rebellion quickly brewing across the other districts and there are plans to overthrow the sinister and controlling Capitol. 



Catching Fire sees them thrown back into the arena immediately by the authorities for the deadly victory tour; which has every intention for them never to return. Ultimately the plan is to brutally kill them both and restore the control and false faith the Capitol had over its people. 

I like many others will without a doubt be going to the cinema on the 21st November, eagerly anticipating my next Hunger Games fix. I don't want to spoil anything as I have read the whole book series and ultimately know what will happen (although I'd really love to go on and on about how it may be portrayed in the film), BUT I am eager to see how they portray certain aspects of the book, such as the arena which has the theme of the ocean this time, the ticking clock aspect and obviously the books new male interest Finnick Odai!







The narrative is also focused upon the love dilemma between Peeta loving Katniss (ever since he gave her a piece of bread when she was starving apparently) and Katniss being crazy in love with her childhood friend Gale. I don't think you would be a true Hunger Games fan without supporting one of the male protagonists throughout the plot development. And can I just make it clear now that I am team Peeta - and do not wish to discuss any other way of seeing a positive side to Gale!

However - my main pet hate since the first film is the absence of significant sections that appear in the book; for example I felt Rue's part was short and didn't develop as much as it should have done and the entire deletion of Madge Undersee baffled me slightly - but this is something I am expecting to occur again. I know this is to be expected because of the time restrictions but I really wish with any film, but I just wish they would keep to the book religiously and not change scenes/characters where they are important; because I only sit there and complain how unhappy I am with the changes and ponder the questions "but why would you change that" and "that doesn't even make sense to the story" a million times...

Regardless of this, I am still so so excited and need to find someone who is as equally excited as me to accompany me to the cinema on the 21st November... and not a day later!



Emily  

1 comment:

  1. I love The Hungers Games too and I can't wait more to the second movie!! ;D

    ReplyDelete